For Immediate Release March 10 2012
Heels on Wheels Glitter Roadshow Performs Queer Political Art with Sparkle April 6-14, 2012 in the US Northeast!
Media Inquiries, please contact:
Tel: Damien Luxe 917-415-0881 [promotions], Heather Acs 347-623-3109 [booking]
The Heels on Wheels Glitter Roadshow tours the US annually with a dazzling cabaret of performance art works and acts of resistance by queer folks of femme-inine spectrum genders. The show itself consists of five performers, featuring a raucous, thought-provoking line-up of multi-media, literary and performing arts, music, puppetry, participatory art — and even dance parties. Our fearless artists rampage across the femme-inine spectrum-from hi-femme to femmedrogyny, dandy darling to ladybeast — in a wild revue of visceral, poetic, performance, emotional escape plans in wild workout gear, dark whimsical puppetry, innovative intersectionality, and rocknroll you can sink your heels into!
The 2012 tour is the third, and features experienced performers Damien Luxe, Geppetta, Heather Acs, Najva Sol, and Shomi Noise, with wrangler/visual artist Lizxnn Disaster, and runs April 6-14, 2012. This show is unique to and engaged with each place it lands in. Heels on Wheels lives the dream by including local acts, facilitating discussions on activist art, and will install “Femme That Frame,” a temporary political art intervention each day of the tour!
By actively complicating what it looks like, sounds like, IS like to shamelessly and lovingly represent femininity, dandyness, fey, femme and queer lady, this work confronts misogyny and sexism and uses cultural works to sabotage the hegemonic status quo of gender, sexuality, and “feminine” appearance, replacing it with many visions and ideas of what thriving and surviving as femme folks can be.
Heels on Wheels emerges from an active anti-oppression, intersectional, liberatory standpoint: who is touring, the art they share onstage, and community organizing in their home city of Brooklyn all intend to build power for traditionally-marginalized LGBTQ stories and people. The tour is working class-led and multi-racial, and includes cisgendered and trans folks, QPOC, mixed race folks, sex workers, immigrants: all fiercely political feminist queer artists whose work weaves punk herstories, survival strategies, and wild costuming into escape artistry. These are stories that do not have enough outlets on a regular basis and that’s one reason this tour is important!
Stillettos fly, gender justice prevails, and fairytales fracture as we travel through space, time, and stardust to a city in the Northeast near you!
- Friday April 6: Hampshire College, MA [address forthcoming]
- Saturday April 7 [afternoon] Amherst, MA
- Saturday April 7: Providence, RI [Venue TBA]
- Sunday April 8: Boston, MA [Venue TBA]
- Monday April 9: New Jersey [Venue TBA]
- Tuesday April 10: Baltimore, MD [Venue TBA; doors 8:30/show 9p]
- Wednesday April 11: University of Maryland, MD [address forthcoming]
- Thursday April 12: Washington, DC [DC Center, 1318 U Street NW Washington, DC, 20009; doors 7:30/show 8p; all-ages; $5-$12]
- Friday April 13: Philadelphia, PA [Vox Populi, 319 North 11th, Philadelphia; doors 8:30/show 9p; all-ages; $5-$12]
- Saturday April 14: Brooklyn, NY [Venue TBA; doors 8:30/show 9p; all-ages; $5-$12]
Find the Heels on Wheels Glitter Roadshow online!
- Website: www.heelsonwheelsroadshow.com
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/heelsonwheelsroadshow
- Twitter: @howroadshow // #heelsonwheels
- Pre-sale tickets & tour Donations: www.kickstarter.com/projects/962427077/heels-on-wheels-roadshow-2012-gas-and-tour-fund